Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Rices’ Hypolite – Queen Of The Long-Board

HOUSTON (CBS-Houston) â€" It’s truly a sight worth seeing! But you mostly have to be somewhere around the Rice University campus to see this young lady tightly clutching her vehicle as she enters Tudor Fieldhouse for practice or as she is maneuvering around campus.

The vehicle is called a long-board. Longer and wider than a skateboard, it is the mode of transportation for one such Rice female student-athlete.

The example this young lady is setting could be the catalyst for helping to change the mode of transportation on college campuses nation-wide, or maybe just Rice. But, this deserves special attention as does the subject of this story.

SENIOR LEADER

The subject is Rice Women’s basketball star Brianna Hypolite who came to Rice from the historic community of Dickinson, Texas, the city for which the high school is named. Dickinson is about a 25-30-minute drive to Galveston Island.

Hypolite is the second leading scorer at 12.5 ppg and one of two Lady Owls on Head Coach Greg Williams’ squad with a double-figure scoring average. The Lady Owls are 8-10 overall, 2-3 in conference USA after a 65-63 overtime loss at UCF that saw Hypolite score just 3 points.

But, in at least 5 games this season, the 6’0” senior forward has scored more than 14 points. Hypolite will get another opportunity to contribute when the Lady Owls host the Southern Miss Lady Golden Eagles on Sunday afternoon at 2. But, in the meantime, Hypolite is an unselfish player who puts team first.

“I just like to help my team as much as I can in any capacity just to put our team in the best situation possible whether that’s like scoring points, rebounds or anything else that doesn’t go on the stat sheet.

“So, I’m really glad that I had those games. But, I really think at those times those were games that I needed to score a little bit more rather than do other things. So, I was able to do that and I thought that was pretty great!”

TALENT EXTENDS BEYOND THE COURT

There’s a large percentage of college students across the nation that have vehicular transportation to get around the town in which the campus is located or to get home during a scheduled break from school. Those who don’t possess a car might own a bike or motorized cycle of some type to get from class to class or maneuver around town.

There certainly aren’t many who travel via long-board. In fact, some of her teammates have tried to unsuccessfully to learn the trick.

“Some of them have tried riding it â€" very few feet â€" not just like taking off or anything. But’ it’s always fun to have around.”

So, students catch the bus or walk to their destination unless they’re Brianna. She gets around town, to practice, and to and from classes â€" on a board â€" her long-board!

“Who wants to walk â€" no one wants to walk! And it’s fun,” says Hypolite. “Growing up kind of by Galveston, I would long-board with my friends and it would always be like â€" really fun. I have a lot of fond memories attached to long-boarding kind of in high school and stuff and then really coming here, (to Rice), it would be like an easy way to get around. I’m pretty certain no one will take it. I’m like the only Black kid with â€" ahm â€" a long-board.”

“And I just had to convince the coaches because really they really weren’t deadest with me long-boarding. But once I explained to them that it’s just for getting to and from class, like kind of getting around town where I need to be because I don’t have a car.”

“That’s another thing â€" I sold my car because I like using mass transit and feeling kind of environmentally friendly. It’s better at long-boarding around than using a gas car through downtown. You can just use your long-board.”

BUT WHEN REALITY STRIKES

Hypolite’s Grandmother passed away after a long-term illness back on January 5th, 2012. Due to spending time with family, she had been away from school periodically for nearly 2 weeks. The periodic time away helped to rekindle fond memories.

“I was over there holidays, anytime. She was very supportive of me and the rest of my cousins, the rest of her grandchildren â€" very, very loving. She was really a great woman, a very religious woman, very devout, very much into family, and making sure that we were all always together and knew that we were loved. Her passing away has really been tough. But, she really was an inspiration in many people’s lives.”

It always seems to be family that makes us whole and influences us to go beyond our personal limits. In Hypolite’s case, it was her Mother and Godfather who she says have been the biggest influences in her life.

“They both have been heavy influences in my life on and off the court. And they’ve inspired me to do well in basketball because they both sacrificed a lot and put a lot of time and effort in to me being successful and getting here. So, they’re definitely my inspiration here at Rice.”

THE OTHER INSPIRATION

Hypolite has shown resilence in that she has played in every game since her Grandmother’s death and is now seemingly back into the routine of her regular schedule. Meanwhile, there’s the long-board which get’s her around campus and parts of Downtown Houston with ease.

“I long-board to the Museum District and then I catch the train and I long-board downtown â€" go out to eat, go to concerts, restaurants, hang out with my friends. It’s really convenient â€" don’t have to pay for parking. You keep your wheels with you at all times.”

“You can long-board around â€" it’s a great way to start conversation with people. You can meet a lot of people while you’re sitting waiting for the bus with the long-board â€" it’s cool.”

Of course, the bigger question in all of this is what Head Coach Greg Williams and teammates say to her before she begins her journeys.

“Do not get hurt â€" no tricks â€" do not get hurt â€" Brianna, do not get hurt! We have an understanding that I will be responsible with it â€" it’s all good!”

The Lady Owls will host the Lady Golden Eagles of Southern Miss at Tudor Fieldhouse 2:00 Sunday afternoon.

Follow me on twitter at www.twitter.com/coloranalyst and facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment