Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Texans' Wade Phillips to interview with Bucs

It's not the news Texans fans want to hear right now, but defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will interview for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coaching job this week.

It's no secret that Phillips is one of the top defensive coaches in the league. He's taken the Texans from 30th in defense to second in one season. He has an overall winning record as a head coach with stops in Buffalo, San Diego, Dallas and as an interim head coach in New Orleans and Aatlanta.

Here's what Phillips had to say last Thursday about being considered for another head coaching position:

"If you want a winner, if you want experience, you know, I'd like to talk about it. But this is the best job I've had. It couldn't be a better job than this right now, and if we keep going the way I think we're going to go, and we're going to be good for a long time, especially defensively I think. So, you know, I'm not looking to go anywhere. I enjoyed being a head coach, I enjoyed the winning, and we're winning here, so that's important, too. But I think I could help anybody. I mean, it's been proven, you know, if you want to go on the record."

The Texans gave the Bucs permission to interview him sometime this week. Phillips, who's still recovering from kidney and gall bladder surgery, is hoping to talk to the Bucs here in Houston on Friday.

(Copyright ©2012 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more Sports »

Tags:

sports, bob slovak

No comments:

Post a Comment