Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Bench Coach Al Pedrique Leaves Astros

Updated: Wednesday, 11 Jan 2012, 8:32 PM CST
Published : Wednesday, 11 Jan 2012, 3:38 PM CST

HOUSTON - Citing a lack of respect from the Houston Astros organization, Al Pedrique has resigned as bench coach after two years as manager Brad Mills' top assistant coach.

"They offered me the bullpen coaching job and I told them that after being the bench coach for two years and being told that I did a good job, a good coach, I didn't see the need of me accepting the role to go to bullpen coach," Pedrique said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

"Brad Mills and (Astros general manager) Jeff (Luhnow) told me they were bringing in somebody out of the organization to support the manager to be successful. I told them my goal is to move forward, and it's not to move backwards with an organization.

"I'm very disappointed because I gave 100 per cent every day. I told the organization I can help them in a better role and a number of times I was told by Brad Mills that I did a good job as a bench coach."

Luhnow confirmed the Astros did have another spot available for Pedrique on the Houston staff.

"We offered Al another position on the Major League staff," said Luhnow. "We value his contribution and wanted to keep him.

"He chose to pursue other opportunities and we wish him well and very much appreciate everything he's done for the Astros."

Luhnow said the Astros have replaced Pedrique with Joe Pettini, who had been the bench for the St. Louis Cardinals for the last ten years.

Pedrique said the Astros reasoning to move him to the bullpen was nothing more than an "excuse" to replace him.

"Definitely it's a major disappointment to be told that they want to move me to the bullpen because I'm bilingual," Pedrique said.

"I say that's an excuse. At this level, the Major League level, the Latin players should be able to understand English, and it never was an issue with the Astros, the lack of communication with the Latin pitchers from the bullpen.

"So I found it was a lack of respect at being demoted, because they want to bring somebody in from outside the organization. It wasn't fair for me to accept that.

"That was an excuse to move me out of my position, my role, so they could bring somebody in from outside the organzation."

Pedrique, who is under contract to the Astros for 2012, said Luhnow has given him permission to look for another job.

"I understand it's part of the business when you get a new general manager or new manager, changes are going to be made," Pedrique said.

"My question to them was 'how come I'm not getting the chance to be evaluated in my role?' Why do I have to accept a role that I've never done in baseball?

"In 33 years I've never done a job related with pitchers or catchers, and you look throughout Major League teams, everybody that holds that position, they were pitchers or catchers.

"I need to be realistic. I didn't think it was right for me to take the job, because I wasn't going to help the organization as a bullpen coach."

Pedrique joined the Astros in 2004 as special assistant to the general manager.

In 2009 he was the minor league field coordinator and joined the Astros big league staff later that year as the third base coach.

Pedrique was the Arizona Diamondbacks interim manager during the 2004 season.

No comments:

Post a Comment