Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Houston Astros bumble their way to loss to Pittsburgh Pirates - LubbockOnline.com

PITTSBURGH â€" The ball looked as if it was a harmless pop-up.

Problem is, there’s no such thing for the Houston Astros these days.

When the ball hit shortstop Tyler Greene’s glove, one of Greene’s teammates hit him. The ball fell to the ground, giving the Pittsburgh Pirates a pair of insurance runs and the Astros another dose of embarrassment in a 6-2 loss.

“That’s a fly ball I should have,” Greene said. “I just think we had just maybe a, you know, guys in different spots, maybe some miscommunication, but that’s my responsibility being the shortstop out there. I’ve got to take charge, take control of what’s going on.”

Jordan Lyles (3-11) gave up five runs â€" four earned â€" in 4 2-3 innings for Houston, which failed to win consecutive games for just the second time since the All-Star break.

“The whole night, the curveball wasn’t there for me,” Lyles said. “I think it comes down to delivery. I’ve got to work on being better out of the stretch, and tonight it wasn’t there.”

Andrew McCutchen had his major league-leading sixth four-hit game for Pittsburgh and rookie second baseman Brock Holt added four hits to help former Houston pitcher Wandy Rodriguez (10-13) win for the third time in his past four starts.

“Beating this team is very special for me because I played for the Astros for a long time,” Rodriguez said. “When the game started, I don’t have any friends.”

Rodriguez is making some in Pittsburgh, which came in losers in 10 of its previous 13, including a 5-1 setback to the Astros on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment