Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

West Says He's 'Banned' from White House

Updated: Monday, 09 Jan 2012, 7:04 AM CST
Published : Monday, 09 Jan 2012, 7:04 AM CST

(FOX Sports Southwest) - The Dallas Mavericks, at the expense of owner Mark Cuban, will be visiting the White House on Monday in honor of last season's NBA Championship.

But apparently there is one Maverick who will not get the opportunity to shake President Barack Obama's hand.

"I'm banned from going to the White House, so I'm not going to make it," Mavericks guard Delonte West told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "But I'm going home to D.C. I'm just not allowed to go to the White House. That's what happens when you make bad decisions in your life. You can't go to the White House."

West was born in the US capital, so he will more than likely be able to keep himself occupied during the team's visit.

On Sept. 17, 2009, West was arrested in Upper Marlboro, Md., after being pulled over for speeding on a motorcycle while carrying two loaded handguns and a loaded shotgun in a guitar case. West pleaded guilty to the weapons charges and received home detention and community service.

"I've been there 100 times in my lifetime -- I live right around the corner," West said. "I live in D.C. It's going to be a shame the President isn't going to get a chance to meet me. I'm the president of my house."

The Mavericks signed West in the offseason. He was a solid contributor this season, averaging 8.0 points and 3.1 assists, including starts in eight of the Mavs' nine games.

The Mavs had to schedule their own trip to Washington this year as the strike-shortened season left a visit to the Washington Wizards off the schedule. The team flew to Washington on Saturday and will meet Obama on Monday morning before traveling to Detroit for their scheduled game against the Pistons on Tuesday night.

Read more: FOX Sports Southwest

No comments:

Post a Comment